Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Marriage is fun

No, really. I just spent two hours arguing with my sife about what we're going to fix in our house next, and how we're going to afford it. It's an odd thing, that money. We always have enough to do the things we want to do, like buy a new phone, or go to Vegas, or buy movies. But when it comes to those things that we really need to do, like rebrick our front stoop - that's the shit that seems to get pushed off and pushed off.

Well, I decided that this year's the year to change some of that and be more like responsible people. I've managed over 2006 to get our money more or less straightened out. We've got a little bit in savings now, and I've upped the contribution to my 401(k) each week. I'm still paying off a 401(k) loan for another three years, but that's not such a terrible state to be in. We've got a little back taxes to take care of as well, but the IRS is actually way more understanding about that kind of thing than you would think. Basically, they're only interested in getting their money, so as long as you're willing to give them some of it every now and then, they pretty much stay off your back.

Suzy's working more, which is good. I just don't make enough to support us both in the manner we would like to grow accustomed to. I'm getting more writing work, and need to buckle down and hammer out some pages. Once I can get that rolling, I think the extra revenue will cover my summer and winter trips. We're trying to save up enough to take her dad with us to Vegas this winter, so I need to tuck a little extra aside for that as well. Looks like maybe I'll still be lighting everything in sight for the foreseeable future - the money right now is too good to pass up.

I'm looking at almost an extra $4,000 coming into the house over the next eight weeks, and that will go a looong way towards dealing with some of this house repairs and shit like that. I think if I tuck away a grand to cover Vegas this summer, then I just need to save up writing money to pay for our surprise trip in September and Vegas this winter. Hopefully by then I'll have enough frequent flyer miles to have two free tickets, and hopefully I'll be able to get the tickets when we want to fly. That's the main reason I flew in so early last winter - frequent flyer mile restrictions.

I'm rambling - and hungry. Later.

No comments: