Wednesday, May 31, 2006

More on embedded reporting

When I heard the explosion at 11 a.m. Monday morning, I had no idea I was listening to my colleagues being killed.
The blast sounded just like the two other blasts - booming, rumbling,
base sounds like claps of thunder – I’d heard before 9 a.m. From Richard Engel, NBC News.

I can't imagine. I'm glad my friends cover poker tournaments. The most I'm worried about is Pauly passing out in the fountain at the Bellagio and drowning (not an unreasonable fear). But what fascinates me is not the pain that these writers are feeling, but the responses to this blog. The comments range from supportive to retarded, from the praising God for these brave journalists to slamming reporters for not paying enough attention to the deaths of soldiers.

These guys lost a friend. Let them mourn. Don't take this as an opportunity to slam coverage of the death of troops, or to say "you shouldn't have been there in the first place." Let them honor their fallen comrades.

No comments: